Bonjour, mes bons amis!
We finally made it to the weekend! It’s been quite a week – but what better way to relax than by getting in the mood for “the greatest two minutes in sports” with Kentucky-inspired cocktails, smoky southern BBQ and of course, a fancy big hat! (We really need more traditional occasions/reasons for wearing big hats like the Derby…)
Bourbon is a personal favorite of mine, so I enjoy watching the event with friends, pretending to be at Churchill Downs wearing a big hat of my own with a delicious bourbon cocktail in hand. Needless to say, I needed little convincing to share some of my own Derby inspirations.
- Trust a pro like Mrs. Lilien’s “Mrs. Julep” easy and Derby-ready mint julep recipe. While you’re at it, pick up her amazing Cocktail Swatchbook full of ideas for every occasion!
- Every trip to San Francisco, I enjoy a number of classic bourbon cocktails at this modern speakeasy – reservations and password required, however, cell phones and prowling strictly prohibited.
- You’re bound to find a tasty mint julep at Brooklyn’s Char No. 4, specializing in nothing but bourbon (and oddly, delicious cheese curds!).
- Find the perfect fancy big hat for that last minute Derby party or polo match at an online retailer like Hats in the Belfry or from Lexington, KY’s very own Polly Singer.
- If you’re looking for BBQ to complement your bourbon cocktail and big hat, here’s a national roundup of the best in the country.
- Great snack and app recipes for a Derby Party – direct from the horse’s mouth!
Finally, as old-school and traditional as the Kentucky Derby may be…
… today’s Kentucky Derby is anything but stuck in the past.
And I’m off!
Have a wonderful weekend, mes bons amis!!
♥ – LBH