Bonjour, mes bons amis!!
I hope you had a beautiful and restful weekend! And for those dealing with the recent crazy and violent weather, I do hope you and your family remained safe and sound.
Today marks a milestone. Five years ago today, I met a very special person: my best friend, my confidante, the person who makes me better myself, motivates and inspires me, and makes me look forward to the next day.
When we first met, we talked about our world travels, and our love of buffalo wings, beer etc (not necessarily together). His quiet charm, humble intellect and downright silly side, not to mention his knowledge of 90s rap, wasn’t intriguing – it was downright amazing. And perfect. Perfect for me.
here’s to many more of our milestones…
It is unbelievable to see how fast five years goes by. But I can’t wait to whiz through another five years with him, and reach more new milestones together.
Have a wonderful week, mes beaux amis!
♥ – LBH
Bonjour, mes beaux amis!
I have to admit that I have had a major girl-crush on Audrey Tautou for over twelve years – ever since seeing her charm the pants off everyone in Le Fabuleaux Destin d’Amélie Poulain. So you can imagine how excited I am that she is the maîtresse de cérémonie at the 2013 Festival de Cannes happening right now!
one of mon prèfèrè actrice françes et ma muse, Mademoiselle Audrey Tautou!
I will be following the highlights everyday, and I’ll be sure keep you updated with highlights and great pics – mais bîen sur!
Le Festival de Cannes 2013 Opening Ceremony
Baz Lurhmann and the cast of The Great Gatsby on the red carpet
looking just as gorgeous and dapper as possible – biên sur!!
the brilliant Christoph Waltz!
And of course, I couldn’t resist sharing this exclusive video with Audrey about her Master of Ceremonies honor – yes, this video is in French, but her charm and delight are understandable in any language!Looks like I will have lots of film watching to do soon! Here’s the full list of Cannes entries – winners announced May 26th!
Have a wonderful Thursday, mes beaux amis!!
♥ – LBH
Bonjour, mes bons amis!!
Have you ever felt like your body, and consequently your mind and heart somewhat too, were a bit out of sorts? Recently I had mentioned that my sleeping habits have been changing, and doing something I was absolutely professional at and thoroughly loved, is now so much more challenging. I’ve purchased new pricey pillows ($100 for 2 pillows convinced me they had to be great, right?), I make sure to keep the temperature cool in my bedroom, I’ve taken relaxing baths at night – I’ve even stopped watching anything scary or suspenseful after dark. And yet, just like Mick so famously sang, at times I find myself running for the shelter of a mother’s little helper…
Mother’s little helper, helping for over 50 years… (img: stayfreemagazine)
Let’s not get dramatic now – I’m not popping pills or the such. But I can tell you that I understand how some people desperate for some relief end up falling down that rabbit hole. Some believe that contrary to the plethora of technology to make life easier and give back more personal time, we’re actually being DRAINED of time.
So what to do… I thought about this on my way into work this morning. What is it that truly reinvigorates and resets the mind, body and soul? Besides the obvious big-budget vacation ideas, what small things can we do to feel like we’ve found the shelter of mother’s little helper? Here are a few of my best ideas:
- Don’t overbook yourself in one day, one week or one month. This is somewhat an obvi tip, and yet everyone is guilty of ignoring it. We pack our days as full as possible with meetings, conference calls, appointments, dinners, drinks, showers… the list never ends. And of course, all of these things are wonderful and enjoyable in and of themselves. But if you’re like me, too many scheduled events in one day, week or month is disastrous.
- Instead of over-extending yourself to others, make sure you book personal time. For every 2-3 events for others, formally book a personal event, just to treat yourself – a mani/pedi, massage, facial, some shopping time, beach/pool/outdoors time, a hike. And make the appointment in your calendar, just like you would a meeting or conference call. And definitely keep the appointment. You deserve it!
don’t flake on your Me-Time appointments!
- Cook your favorite meal or dish – for yourself. I came home one evening this week and made myself breakfast because bacon, eggs and hashbrowns all sounded so good, even if it was 8pm. It was my own little treat!
- Make yourself MORE tired – but in a great way with a nice long hike or walk, and preferably in sunlight if possible. The vitamin D from the sunlight will naturally help lift your spirits, and the warmth from the light exercise will help relax tense muscles in the neck, shoulders and back. And by the end, you will probably be a bit more tired than usual and ready to enjoy a nice long night of sleep afterward.
Abalone Cove is one of SoCal’s greatest gems – perfect for a day hike to the tide pools!
- How many times have you thought to yourself how much you would love perusing the local museum, local garden or park in your city on a weekday when there are no crowds? Why not take a day off from work, and spend the day doing one or two of those things you don’t get to do more often! Check your local museums’ schedules – most offer discounted or even free admission on specific days/times, so take advantage! (LACMA is free after 3pm for LA residents; and you can visit the Huntington Botanical Gardens on their Free Days!)
LACMA’s Urban Light outdoor exhibit (img: LACMA)
Huntington Botanical Gardens in Pasadena, CA are perfect for a relaxing day (img: The Huntington)
What little things do you do to help escape life’s little stresses and return to find your center once again?
Enjoy the rest of your week, mes beaux amis!!
♥ – LBH
Bonjour, mes bons amis et tout les belles mères!!!
Today happens once a calendar year but we should all celebrate our moms, including our figurative mother-figures as well, everyday – mais bien sur!
my Mom taught me more than I could ever know.
I certainly hope you enjoy your day today, with your moms, from afar, or in memory. And as you do so, try to remember the best advice your mom ever gave you, or your mom’s best characteristic or talent. My mom was blessed with the gift of being a fantastic cook, and she loved to entertain people at our house often. Her warmth, joyful spirit and hospitality are all features that I strive to emulate in my life, surrounding myself everyday with family and friends, laughter and love as often as possible.
my Mom taught me that the simple things are the most important things.
my Mom taught me warmth and friendship
my Mom taught me joie de vivre.
There is nothing like that tender and heart-warming feeling when seeing old pictures of your family, but especially your mom. What are you doing today to celebrate your mom? What are your favorite memories of your mom?
Have a wonderful Mother’s Day today and everyday!
♥ - LBH
Bonjour, mes bons amis!!
My parents left a box of old photos so that I could eventually digitize all of the pictures. And as I sat at my laptop this evening to write a post with gift ideas for Mom, I remembered that box. Before I knew it, I had spent over two hours looking at hundreds of pictures, trying to remember events and dates, laughing at the memories I could recall, and holding back a tear or two. Or three.
Photographs are against some religions because of the superstition that cameras or photos steal a soul (or something like that). While I respect the belief, I also feel that this means truly missing one of the best ways to keep family and friends close to your heart, no matter their distance. My mom lives 2500 miles away, and yet in the last two hours of seeing her face through the years, the vacations, the family reunions… I was immediately reminded that my mom is always close.
I couldn’t help share a few of my favorites. There really is nothing like a mother’s love…
our Moms never stop caring for us, no matter our age.
our Moms show us what tenderness and love means.
our Moms are our SUPERWOMEN!
our Moms’ happiness is our own happiness.
- It’s not too late to make some amazing DIY gifts for your mom!
- Your gift doesn’t have to be crafty – whip up something delicious and easy in the kitchen!
- Give your mom the gift of time: hire a local maid service while you take her out of the house for a few hours.
- If your mom loves movies and TV shows, set up Mom with a 6-month or 1-year Netflix service.
- If your mom loves to cook, sign up and take a cooking class with her and learn to cook a few new exotic or ethnic dishes. Check Yelp for some local cooking classes in hers or your area.
- THE FAIL-SAFE: Treat your mom to a brunch at home with some fun recipes like a Bacon, Egg and Toast Cup, or any of these other great simple recipes. (And clean up after, too!)
What are you doing for your Mom this Mother’s Day?
♥ – LBH